Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dexter is Delicious

So, I finally finished Dexter.  It isn't that the book wasn't good, its that my older daughter was on Spring Break and we had a lot planned.  Our schedules got really mixed up!  

In this installment of the series, Dexter goes through a lot of human emotions throughout the book.  This is something that he has never encountered before.  He attributes this to the birth of his daughter, Lily Ann.  I admit, I was worried for a while that the author, Jeff Lindsay, was trying to close out the Dexter line, turning the Dark Avenger into Dex-Daddy who no longer feels the urge to kill.  Yes, the Dark Passenger was still there, still whispering sweet nothings in his ear, but Dexter was able to quench the voice, telling him to go away.  For a while, the Dark Passenger did go away, and it often left Dexter vulnerable and scared.

I was certain that the "bad guy" in this novel was someone from Dexter's past whom we all assumed was dead.  I imagine that in future novels will deal with this "bad guy," but for now, he is just another character.


I honestly wouldn't rate this book as high as some of the earlier Dexter books.  Yes, it was good, even suspenseful, but Lindsay kept alluding to Deborah being pregnant, and it was quite obvious, in my opinion.  He didn't actually have Deborah admit to her pregnancy until the very end of the book, and then sped through almost the entire pregnancy in a few pages.  Oh, perhaps I should mention that this is a spoiler.  I won't spoil the ending of the book for you, however.  


Lindsay continues in his wonderful manner of writing that I adore so much.  If only I could weave words like that.  I'm going to have to add previous Lindsay books to my long to read list to see how they compare to the great Dexter.

A new Dexter hits shelves on October 18, 2011; mark your calendars, I know I will be marking mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment